Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Work In Progress

I had forgotten just how challenging this particular population can be. Today, alone, I broke up one fight and sent three kids to the recovery room for behavior problems. These are not unusual events in a school like Fairfax. That said, the new Art program that I'm building seems to be popular among the students. Several times throughout any given day, I'm met at my door by a student who has walked out of their class to come by my room to see if they could sit in on my lesson. Or, at the very least, to ask for a paper and pen so they could sit outside and draw. It's with these requests that I'm forced to play my adult role and redirect them back to where they rightfully belong. Rufus and Dave, the principal and vice principal (and the two coolest people I've ever worked under, with the exception of Paul from Olathe Medical Center), are excited to finally have something therapeutic in place. I'm glad to finally be in a school where I feel like I'm making a difference in the lives of young people.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

It's a great feeling isn't it? I had the best time teaching kids out in Leavenworth at their alt-Ed school. They really seemed to appreciate the artistic endeavors and attention they got from me.

22 August, 2007  
Blogger Rustic Lingerer said...

mr. teel: i'm glad for you too. proud of you. schools need folks like you, young and enthusiastic. you will change the attitude and environment in the halls in no time. can i draw outside your door?

26 August, 2007  
Blogger Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

Perhaps this post should be entitled "An All-Consuming Work In Progress" since it seems to be occupying all your time these past few weeks. :)

03 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home